Friday, March 23, 2012

Dvorak is a delightful distraction!

I've been messing around with Dvorak keyboard layout on my Ubuntu machine.  I must admit, it's hard to keep from grinning because it feels like a game.  I found out about the Dvorak layout from Wikipedia when reading about speed typing.  I found a great tutorial at http://gigliwood.com/abcd/lessons/.  I made it through about 5 lessons before I just had write down this ridiculous excitement I'm feeling.  I can already see how Dvorak is easier to type than QUERTY.  However, it is excruciatingly frustrating to type so much slower than I think.  Once I get the key translations down, I can handle the typing.  But I keep finding the sags in my concentration where I catch myself reaching for the old key (punctuation is tricky enough--try to cut, copy, paste when the x, c, and v keys are in different places).  That's why this transition has to be done slowly, increasing practices just a little each day.

I really love how I can learn this method of typing without any special equipment.  Dvorak uses a standard keyboard.  I could put stickers on my keys, but that would only teach me to look for the keys.  My aim is learn to type faster, not waste time looking back and forth between the keyboard and screen.

If you want to find out more on this crazy Dvorak layout, go to http://dvorak.mwbrooks.com/ or read the Wikipedia article.

No comments:

Post a Comment