Sunday, November 27, 2011

Oatmeal Pancakes from Scratch

I love cooking from scratch.  When I really want to satisfy a particular craving, I can make it even if I don't have the exact ingredients required.  I searched online for oatmeal pancakes, but all the recipes called for buttermilk.  So I looked up how to substitute for buttermilk.  The solution was 3/4 cup of yogurt and 1/4 cup of milk.  I followed the Oatmeal Pancake recipe on allrecipes.com and substituted the buttermilk for a 6 ounce serving of strawberry yogurt and a quarter cup of milk.  I also substituted whole wheat flour for all-purpose.  The batter was thicker than regular pancakes because of the oats so when I put it in the pan, I spread it out evenly flat.  I cooked it at a lower temperature than non-oat pancakes because it took longer for the bubbles to rise through the pancake.  When there were several bubbles, I flipped the pancake and then put a lid on the pan.  Since the pancakes turned out so thick, I used the steam to ensure the inside was cooked.

The result was fruity flavored, delicious, and filling.  I prefer this recipe to a store bought pancake mix.  As an added bonus, I made these pancakes with a local chicken egg.  My husband received some eggs from a coworker who raises her own chickens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment