Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Night Bread

Now that I'm operating on a polyphasic sleep schedule, I am following my instincts on what to do in the late hours formerly filled by sleep.  I find the easiest thing to do is clean and organize.  My attention is more focused on what is at hand as opposed to what I'll be doing tomorrow.  I notice things around me and things that need attention much more than I used to when I only slept once a day.  While cleaning out the pantry the other day, I found a yeast packet with a bread recipe.  The recipe was very simple, and I already had all the ingredients.  Last night I made bread from scratch.  Cooking is very easy to do in a clutter free kitchen.  My problem before was I never had time to both clean up the clutter and prevent new clutter from immediately taking its place.  Now that I have lots of time and the patience to deal with clutter, I could clean up my kitchen and have space for baking.  Baking the bread gave me something to concentrate on so that I would not get bored and then tired.

I used the extra activity to try to push past midnight and reduce my core sleep.  I stayed up an extra two hours from what I've been doing, but then I slept an hour later than I planned.  The problem with waking up during time which I previously only used for sleep is that my mind does not recognize any pressing need to stay awake.

When I did awake from core sleep, I tried the bread, and it was delicious.  I know that eating bread (especially wheat bread) is not part of the Primal Blueprint plan to eat mostly meat and non-grain plants, but the fact that I made it myself is enough reason to enjoy it.  This bread was much thicker than bread from the store.  It is something I can eat over a long period of time instead of within two or three days as meat and vegetable dishes require.

Even though I overslept a bit (no Pilates this morning), I still feel like I made progress toward the Uberman sleep schedule since I found something to do in between midnight and 2am.  The challenge I face with the sleep reduction is not fatigue, it is finding a use for the time.  I started this plan to see if I could manifest more time for pursuing my interests.  Bread baking is certainly something I would do more often to increase my homemade food supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment