Thursday, November 17, 2011

Winter planning

Every year I want to plant a garden.  Every year I start too late and wonder why nothing produces.  I am an expert at creating excuses for not going outside.  Too hot. Too cold.  Mosquitoes.  Getting used to a 40 hour work week (after spending 3 months between graduation and employment leisurely enjoying my own schedule).

By the time Fall comes around, I wonder where the time went.  My favorite time to go outside is when it's not too hot or too cold, so Spring and Fall.  Getting a job was extremely important this past Spring, but I had recovered my energy by Fall and felt like starting a garden again.  Of course, that wouldn't work because Winter is just around the corner.  However, I can still use the drive to take action to give me the energy to learn about what action I can take and when to take it.  My birthday is in September so I asked for big terracotta pots.  Container gardening is much more viable in my yard.  I have sandy soil and am downhill from my neighbors which is a disaster in April rains.  I have read a lot online about urban farming, but I wanted more detail.  I bought Urban Farming by Thomas Fox.  I really enjoy that book because not only does it tell how to backyard farm, it gives compelling reasons why backyard farming is the right thing to do.  The scope goes far beyond trying to save money on tomatoes.  It feels more like a revolution.

Given that this is the holiday season traveling to visit family is inevitable for me this time of year, I have decided to hold off on gardening action until January.  Until then I can budget my time and resources and plan for action.  I've got a head start on the terracotta pots.  I don't want to start using them until after the freeze so they don't break.  I plan on building raised garden beds out of wood in January.  February would be a good time to start seeds indoors.  In between now and then, I have plenty of time to pack my brain full of ideas on what do grow and how to grow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment