Monday, February 6, 2012

Clearing mental cobwebs

In order to move forward, it helps to have a clear mind.  Sometimes old memories can snag current perceptions, causing me to become distracted as though I were trying to remember something I was supposed to do.  A quick 15 to 20 minute conscious meditation can clear the fog by sorting through old memories, goals, dreams, and wishful thinking.

Start by taking a few moments to let your mind wander.  If you are feeling very stressed out, it's likely that you will find something to annoy you soon enough.  When you do, hold the aggravating thought in your mind.  While holding onto this problem thought, let go of your reality and give all control to your imagination.  Now anything is possible, and stress does not exist here.  Don't try to treat the problem with a real world solution.  You can imagine the worst possibility, and then follow that up with a miraculous recovery.  Remember, this doesn't have to be realistic.  It's a subconscious way of letting go of the anger that holds the problem to you.  When you let go of the irritation of the problem, even for just a split second of imagining, the freedom you find from stress can let in a lot of energy that will help you solve it for real later.

I've tried the type of meditation where I clear my mind of all thoughts.  I usually get sleepy or bored.  I find guided meditations are more relaxing and invigorating.  Sometimes I get recurring dreams about some old memory that I thought I had dealt with.  By reliving the memory in a more lucid state, I can finish what my dreaming mind started and get some lasting closure on old doubts or worries which are no longer relevant.  I'm still clearing my mind, but in a controlled manner that helps organize the clutter.

Lately I have been trying to think of another 30-day trial activity to do that will help me the most, but I'm still coasting on the invigorating energy I have gained from my transition to Primal Blueprint.  Clearing out some mental cobwebs helps me from sinking back into old patterns and keep my momentum going in a positive direction.  I have a tendency to want to start 500 different things at once, so meditation is a good way to filter out distraction and pace myself.  If I do this enough, I might even be able to find mental peace and quiet one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment