Friday, February 3, 2012

Has your groundhog seen a shadow?

I would say that this Groundhog day, I saw my financial shadow looming over me.  I have been following a plan of break-neck speed to pay off my student loans.  It finally occurred to me that if I hold back some of that cash for personal projects I can benefit greatly from learning and accomplishing new things instead of just waiting out the debt.  By personal projects I mean gardening, building renewable energy systems, and reinvesting in what I have rather than just buying random things like music and movie tickets to pass the time.  I believe that to successfully utilize reinvestment, I have to be professional about how I spend my time and effort.  I am not throwing my time into useless hobbies, but instead investing in health and sustainability practices and sharing the knowledge I gain along the way with others.  Sure I'm delaying my student loan payoff by 14 months, but that's only costing me an extra $300 in interest versus my previous payoff date.  That's less than a dollar a day for a better quality of life!

To aid in my quest for personal growth, I am going to be following Steve Pavlina's guide to creating a business plan.  I could also use a refresher on self-discipline by rereading his series about that.  Following the Primal Blueprint has given me a head start in motivation for homesteading and a thorough work out in self-discipline.  Now that I have given myself permission to reinvest in my life, the only challenge is to decide to spend my time on meaningful action instead of brooding about how much work it's going to be.

Identify the shadows in your life and shed some light on solving problems you have been putting off.  You can't hide from them forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment