Thursday, February 16, 2012

For the last time - NO PIE!

I'm finally getting through to people that I don't like to eat the random sweet desserts at work.  Today there was a lot of pie left over from a big meeting.  Word made it into my hallway, but I did not even flinch (well I winced a little just because I'm so sick of the overabundance of empty calories).  Someone came into my office to tell me and stopped himself because he remembered that I can't/won't/don't eat that stuff.  Alas! I have discovered a benefit to dieting: no matter what diet you're on, if it's weird enough, people will stop trying to offer you anything.  If the diet is based only on calorie restriction, no one understands when you pass up dessert since it's not something offered every day.  But if you're one of those people with a taboo, everyone will be more afraid of offending you than trying to peer pressure you into eating junk food.

I once had a friend who loved saying, "Free food tastes better and is better for you."  I used to agree with him because I was in my senior year of high school at the time so I had many starving college years to ponder this phrase.  It's an alright mentality for someone who is scraping by and doesn't know if or when their next meal is coming.  I have outgrown this phase now.  I could continue to spend all my money on games, music, and electronics like I used to (fashion was never first pick on my spree list).  I could survive on rice and frozen pizza until my student loans are paid off.  That is how I survived paying down credit cards.  Instead, I chose to enlighten myself with the experiment of finding the best fit for my health.  I've discovered that being healthy is a lot more fun and relaxing than eating junk and always having indigestion or low energy.  Time will pass, bills will get paid, things will be bought, and good health can be gained along the way if I can find a way to make it enjoyable while keeping it affordable.  For me, dieting is far more about the self discipline gained in the process than about actual body image.  The feeling of true health is the reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment