Sunday, February 12, 2012

Yay! Winter has arrived!

It has finally dropped below freezing for the past few nights, and there is a lot of talk about snow and ice tomorrow.  I am glad since it gives me the opportunity to trim my Crape Myrtle.  I did a soil test last weekend on the soil under my cold frame.  The dirt is severely low on nitrogen.  I'm not surprised since that part of my yard is mostly weeds.  Weeds like clover thrive in low nitrogen soil.  I'm going to mix in a bunch of crushed egg shells to help fertilize the soil before planting.

The cold did come surprisingly fast.  Lethargy has crept up on me along with the cold.  Bike riding was especially challenging.  I might have freezer burn on my scalp from yesterday's ride.  I wore a scarf over my face, but I had nothing to block the air from coming through the holes in the bike helmet.  Super-fast, concentrated cold air hurts!  Next time I will wear a bandanna under my helmet.

While I hide from the cold inside, I'll be brushing up on my computer skills.  I have developed an obsession with Python and Django since I started using them at work.  The Google app engine also favors these (as a Java alternative), so as I work with them at home, I do so with Google tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment