Thursday, December 1, 2011

Polyphasic Sleep Conclusions


Polyphasic sleep is not for the weak willed. I've been trying the Everyman 4 sleep schedule where I take 4 naps roughly every 4 hours and then have core sleep that is longer than individual naps in the early morning. I have succeeded in failing. I could not get a handle on the midnight to 4AM stretch of time. I can get up at 5AM just fine, but when my body wants sleep, there's no reasoning with my brain that 4AM is not too early.

I was really on a roll after the first day. The novelty of being awake at times when I am usually asleep was all the motivation I needed to stay awake those extra hours. But my plan to slowly migrate toward the Uberman sleep schedule was flawed. I am able to motivate myself to do something that I know is difficult, but when I'm asleep, I am in an entirely different context than reality. What I decide is urgent in reality had no impact on the motivations of my dreaming mind. When I am woken from a pleasant or urgent dream, my only goal becomes to stay asleep so I can continue to chase my dream quest.  Reality loses all importance.

Here are some other problems I encountered. My household consists of my spouse, cat, dog, and me. Everyone was accustomed to being in a certain place at certain times. The cat hates the dog. I had to let the dog stay out of his crate longer at night because my late night cooking and cleaning woke him up and made him noisy. When he was allowed to roam the house, he used his freedom to sleep peacefully on the couch. Even with him being practically comatose, the cat refuses to occupy the same room and protests by using inappropriate places for a litter box. This in turn made my husband cranky. Dealing with this much chaos while undergoing sleep deprivation is not fun. Granted, those problems can be solved with patience, something I had in abundance.  However, with so much time spent at work and so much  at home time spent with everyone else being asleep, I can see the dissonance between my perspective of reality and others' perception of my chronic napping.  I can see that it may seem like I was abandoning trouble at every turn without a care since I had more time to for leisure.  The polyphasic adaptation would be a lot easier without the stress of daily obligations.

Another issue I had was a problem with dehydration. My hands can get do dry in winter that they crack and bleed. One of my remedies is wearing moisture gloves at night after caking my dry patches with Neosporin. I found it hard to do that since I never stayed down very long. I had to drink lots of water to stay awake which resulted in more trips to the bathroom, hence more washing my hands. My eyes were always extremely dry, too. I see this as more of a problem with my diet than the sleep schedule. However, cutting back on delta stage sleep does seem to increase dehydration. I believe that's part of why we sleep so long at night - it's a daily hibernation to cut down on resource demands.

I do not regret trying polyphasic sleep. I gained a massive amount of insight from this trial about myself and about existence. I also found time to jump start some other habits which I intend to keep, even if it requires that I miss out on a little sleep to keep up with them. I find that a few minutes of Pilates in the morning, a long walk in the early evening, and yoga just before bedtime is very rewarding. I found it easier to eat healthier since high sugar foods and caffeine would make me crash before my scheduled nap time.  Really the past week of polyphasic sleep was like a boot camp that pushed me to extremes so that I had to consciously make every choice instead of just following a routine.

I do not consider the experiment of polyphasic sleep to be over. I am not going to try to sleep deprive myself in the near future. I can already see reasons that my current course of action will not get me to the goal of a 22 hour day. I will try this again in the future after I work on developing my self discipline into a less flabby state.

No comments:

Post a Comment