Friday, December 9, 2011

2 out of 3 Exercise Plan

I really like variety for exercise options.  Lately, my favorite things to do are yoga, walking my dog, and working my way through my Pilates video.  During the week, I usually only have time for two: one in the morning and one in the evening.  Having more options than time slots allows me to switch up my activity so that I don't feel stuck in a routine.  The options also give me an alternative when it's raining outside during my normal walking time.  On the weekend, I try to do all three each day since I don't have to spend nine hours a day chained to a desk.  I would try to do yoga at work, but my half-hour lunch doesn't give me time to change AND do yoga.  My office attire doesn't afford me the flexibility needed to do the poses, either.  Sometimes I manage to get all three activities done on a weekday, but that's a rarity.

I am an expert slacker.  When my goal was to do one activity every day (usually walking), it was much harder to stay motivated over a long span of time.  If I skipped the walk one day, I could wind up not going for a walk for the rest of the week.  I also felt glued to one time of day to go for a walk.  It takes about 45 minutes for me to walk around my neighborhood, so if I had less time than that (or perceived that I had less time), I wouldn't bother.

Now I have more flexibility in my workout schedule since I added activities that don't require a set amount of time.  My Pilates video is about 45 minutes long, but I only go through 5 to 10 minutes of it at a time.  Yoga takes only about 20 to 30 minutes for all 12 core asanas.  I can shorten that time by focusing on areas where I need more flexibility.  I can also draw out the time and do extra poses in between asanas.  With these other activities available to me, I don't feel I have to push myself to do a full length walk around the whole neighborhood.  I sometimes take shortcuts which offer steep climbs that are just as challenging as the full length endurance walks.

One thing that helps about the variety of the 2 out of 3 plan is I don't focus as much on the physical change progress.  I don't watch the scale and fret when it shows a number I don't like.  Time seems to pass by much more quickly, so progress just falls into place with or without my attention.  Clearly this method is more fun than obsessing over one activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment