Monday, December 19, 2011

Winter + Illness < Motivation + Resolve

After baking through a 102F fever for 3 days, I found motivation a little hard to find.  What a great time to get into the early release of Star Wars: The Old Republic mmo.  Yes, I took it easy on the weekend and did nothing that required motivation.  As the new year closes in, I'm reminded of my gardening goal in 2012.  Nothing is going to keep me back from that.  I'm going to grow vegetables and possibly fruit and eat it.  New Years is my favorite time of year because I like making big resolutions and planning out how I might achieve them.

This year I have a budget in my favor.  I've been working like a dog trying to keep tabs on my spending, and so far I have been successful.  Budgeting takes practice and creativity.  As much as I want to garden this year, my ultimate goal is to pay off my student loans.  That is a goal that will take longer than one year.  In fact, it will take 2 years, and it should be paid off no later than the end of 2013.  My loans were not small, but they weren't Ivy League huge either.  Every semester of college was funded almost entirely through loans.  I could easily pay them off slowly over 20 years, but I despise debt so I am paying them off in 2 years, hence my shoestring budget.  Being able to build up a functioning garden while scraping by on half my income is a feat of strength which keeps motivation in mind and keeps my chin up.  Even if I fail at growing edible food, I will have less debt when I start over with growing a garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment