Thursday, December 29, 2011

Primal Day 1 Recap

Reviewing my activities yesterday, I say I followed half of the Primal Blueprint laws.

1. Eat lots of plants and animals
2. Avoid poisonous things
6. Get adequate sleep
9. Avoid stupid mistakes
10. Use your brain

The diet part is most of the challenge for now.  The others were pretty easy.  Recently I've been playing the Star Wars MMO which would be a challenge for law #6 except that I lost my attention span for the MMO formula when I played Warcraft.  Sure it's a new story and the profession mechanics differ, but the combat is essentially the same: find items, kill things, and balance your group with the proper mix of class roles if you want to complete the hard content.  This game still leads you down a predetermined path, although it tries its heart out to make you think you have a hand in the storyline by giving conversational choices.  I've written about choice before and how it can be arranged so that the choice you think you are making is really not a choice at all.  In the case of the Star Wars MMO, my perception of truth leaves with only the choice to stop playing because this is a road of distraction I've been down before, and I know it leads to a dead end and lack of sleep.

These laws I did follow, but they could use some real work.

3. Move frequently at a slow pace
4. Lift heavy things
7. Play

I don't walk enough at work.  I sit at a desk and work with a computer.  There's no denying how sedentary that is.  I do walk around some, but only short distances.  I went shopping so I got a bit of extra walking there.  When I got home yesterday, I decided not to walk my dog, but later I changed my mind.  I felt tired, but it was more mental fatigue than physical so walking was more fun than sitting down playing computer games.  Walking my dog felt more like play than exercise.  It's his favorite thing to do.  I'm just glad that I'm well enough to walk him on a regular basis again.

Then the laws I did not follow:

5. Sprint once in a while
8. Get adequate sunshine

I have not done much running since fall when I used my running app at the river trail.  I have plans to return to jogging soon, and at that point I may throw in a few sprints.  As for sunshine, I work in an office all day.  The only sunshine I get is when I drive to work in the morning, and that light is filtered through my car windows.  Lack of sunshine is my biggest irk about winter.  I almost wish I could switch to a night shift at work just so I could have some sunshine hours to spend in my yard.

I plan to keep up with law #1 for at least 2 weeks.  At that point, if I'm still doing well, I will continue for a full 30 days.  I'm mostly doing this to increase my energy.  If that is what I have at then end of 30 days, then I will commit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment