Friday, December 2, 2011

Self Made Existence

This morning I enjoyed French toast made from bread that I baked myself.  I made that bread when I was experimenting with polyphasic sleep which gave me the time to bake it.  Essentially, I gave up sleep so that I could enjoy delicious homemade French toast.

Next year, I plan to grow a garden.  Gardening takes a commitment of time that I previously have not expended.  What activity will I have to give up to accommodate that change?  I could give up sleep, but really there's not much point since my work schedule requires me to burn daylight.  I'm not going to garden at night because it's hard to see.  I could give up television.  That is something I've given up for periods of time in the past.  It is completely possible to do it again.  I could also take a good look at everything I do and every distraction and question whether it is important enough to keep me from investing time in homegrown food.

Opportunity cost is a part of every decision.  If I focus on what is truly important to me (growing wholesome food while keeping a day job), then I can start to tune in to opportunities to encourage that goal.  The goal is a statement: I will do this.  Focus is the belief that the goal is important.  In order to focus on my goal, I have to keep two realities in my mind: the reality that results from my completion of the goal, and the reality that results from my failure to do what is necessary to complete my goal. By comparing these two realities, I can make decisions with clarity instead of doubt.  I can overcome fatigue and boredom to reach the success that is waiting on the other side of perseverance.

I can.  I will.  I want to.  That is all it takes to lead a life that I choose instead of the life I am handed.

No comments:

Post a Comment