Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Primal Blueprint Day 1

Today I start eating according to the Primal Blueprint.  I cooked a giant turkey this weekend and still have plenty of meat leftover.  That leaves me plenty of time to experiment with vegetable dishes.  Last night I cooked cabbage for the first time.  I've eaten cabbage before but most of the cabbage I've eaten has been in the occasional egg roll.  I waited until the holidays were over to attempt this eating plan because communal meals with family and co-workers can make it very hard to stick to a plan as different as paleo diet.  Grains and beans are extremely difficult to cut out of a diet.  I've heard that the first two weeks will be the hardest.  I plan on stuffing myself full of things I can eat, like meat, fruit, veggies, and delicious fat during this time so that I don't feel hungry.  The body takes a while to adjust to getting energy from fat instead of carbohydrates.

I'm also breaking out the barefoot shoes for running again.  Last year I participated in the Little Rock Women Run Arkansas clinic and 5k in Conway.  This year I volunteered to be a group leader in the clinic.  There's also the Little Rock Marathon to train for.  I have no plans to train for the actual marathon this year, but they have replaced the relay with a 10k so that is my goal.  I have the Couch to 10k app on my phone.  Early this fall was running that program twice in a row three days a week along the river.  I stopped when it got too dark to see other pedestrians on the trail and too creepy to walk to my car at the end of the run.  The river trail is a real spoiler since there are not many hills (only one section forces an incline because it's a quick and dirty detour around construction).  My neighborhood is very hilly, and when I run near home I take my dog which adds an additional challenge of having him dart in front of me occasionally.  To train for running, I will start running and walking multiple laps around my neighborhood instead of just the one I usually walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment