Friday, December 30, 2011

Primal Blueprint Days 2 and 3

I stopped eating grains a few days ago, and one thing I can say with certainty is that I feel hungry a lot.  That does not make me feel weak, however, as it would if I were eating bread all the time.  Normally, when I am hungry, I feel like the only choice left is the sleep since my brain feels so completely drained of energy.  When I got hungry before, my stomach wouldn't bother me.  If I didn't follow a schedule to eat, I could go hungry and not feel a thing until I was miserable with headaches.  Then I would stop and remember that I had nothing to eat in a while.

For the past few days, I have eaten meat, vegetables, fruit, and dairy.  When my stomach empties, I know it right away, and I have to drop what I'm doing to find some food.  I also fill up faster, though, because I eat a lot of meat and plenty of cheese with the plethora of veggies I consume.  Being full doesn't rob me of energy now.  When I would eat cereal, bread, or pasta, I would get very tired afterward and creative thinking was off the table.  When I don't eat grains, I don't feel the blood rushing out of my head and into my abdomen.  There are still times when I feel tired, but my energy is more accessible than it used to be.  Mark Sisson talks about insulin a lot in the Primal Blueprint.  Eating too much grain can cause an insulin spike and crash which just becomes a cycle when grains are treated as the staple of every meal.  It's only been 3 days, and I am already experiencing what it is like to not be a part of that cycle.  Now, when I need energy I have it.  When I want to rest, I feel calm.  I don't feel like my energy cycle is controlling me like a bus schedule.  My energy is more like a bicycle now and I can get moving when I need to instead of waiting for the next energy spike.

I'm also in a good mood more of the time.  There's something about having readily accessible energy that can lift the spirits of a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment