Sunday, January 1, 2012

Dining Out Primal Style

Friday night I ate at an Italian restaurant called Izzy's .  I was wondering if I could hold up the primal eating plan.  When I think of Italian food, I think of pasta and endless refills of bread loaves.  Then I remembered salads.  I don't eat salads often, but I found a delightful one at Izzy's, a salmon Nicoise salad: salmon, hard boiled egg, tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, lettuce, and a tasty vinaigrette.

Saturday night I ate at the Tex-Mex restaurant On the Border.  It was hard to watch my friends eat the chips and salsa and not have some.  I just had to remind myself that the entrees are filling enough so resist snacking on corn chips.  Corn is a grain, which is not part of the primal plan.  Every entree had rice, beans or both.  I ordered something off the health-conscious menu which had chicken, salsa, sauteed squash and peppers, and rice.  I ate the chicken and veggies and skipped over the rice.  There was so much black pepper on it that I could barely taste any of it.  All in all, it was filling and a decent fit for primal eating.

I went to a friend's house after dinner and had some fudge.  They brought some of that fudge to a party we had last Monday and I ate at least seven pieces.  Last night I nibbled on one piece and made it last over an hour.  I needed the fudge to stay awake until midnight because I usually sleep much earlier.

My year ended with a lot of dining out, but I was able to easily stick to the primal eating plan very easily.  Exercise was a different matter--I ended the year as a couch potato.  I never said it would be an overnight change!  The food plan is enough of a change for now, and I like the energy it brings.  The only time I get really, really tired is around the time I normally go to sleep anyway, and I only have trouble waking up at my usual early time when I've stayed up later than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment