Friday, January 13, 2012

Cooking fat of choice

I used to be obsessed with olive oil. It did not occur to me that it breaks down at high temperatures, making it just as bad as trans fat. It's perfectly healthy for salad dressing. Using olive oil to sauté everything is not the most healthy way to cook.

The primal blueprint suggests using lard as the healthiest cooking fat. However, the blueprint also states that only grain fed organic animals are okay to eat. Butter is one of the borderline okay foods (as are all dairy products). My current take on the primal blueprint is the stick to the main laws and iron out the details later. I can adjust my palette to eating the right foods now, and when I am ready for a new challenge, I will work on improving the sources of my food.

For now, butter -- real butter, not margarine -- is my choice cooking fat. One thing that I didn't understand at first is the portioning. Olive oil is liquid, and I'm accustomed to using about a half tablespoon for a single serving omlet. Butter is solid, so I didn't gauge the serving size right the first few times I tried it. Today I doubled what I had been using, and the food cooked much better. It certainly tasted better than olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment