Monday, January 9, 2012

Getting into the primal groove

I am finally starting to get a hang of this home cooking diet.  My body wants food more than it wants to sit around and watch television.  I don't feel like cooking and cleaning is as much of a chore because the reward is worth it.  I feel compelled to cook.  I don't have to force this action on myself as much as when I started.

My frugality has resurfaced as well, due to the massive amounts of lettuce I go through.  It's no longer worthwhile to get the pre-washed, pre-cut salad greens any more.  I stock up on raw, unprocessed ingredients.  Washing and cutting don't seem like a time sink now that I enjoy my time spent cooking.  I go to the grocery store more often because fresh veggies takes up a lot of space, but I eat a lot of them.  Going through greens so fast is motivating me to push up my gardening plans by starting out with a cold frame, a mini greenhouse that will let me cultivate spinach, cabbage, and lots of other staples.

I was thinking about building a cold frame, but after comparing the price of materials and a prebuilt cold frame, I will go ahead and order one online.  I really want to kick myself for not buying one when I saw it at the hardware store last summer.  I convinced myself that since I was there to buy a not-so-cheap shed, that all other expenses could wait.  Unfortunately, waiting caused me to lose out on a perfectly good deal.  The cold frame I plan to order is a double wide, though, so the extra expense is more like I'm buying two at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment