Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Primal Blueprint 1 Week Update

I've been doing my best to stay primal for a whole week now.  It's only getting easier.  I didn't exercise much this weekend so yesterday my nerves were shot.  I went for a long walk last night and threw in a sprint for good measure.  It felt really good.

Yesterday evening I had some Chinese take-out.  I'm accustomed to smothering my entree with rice and filling my egg drop soup with those little fried crunchies (no idea what they are officially called, I just know they are grain based).  Beef and broccoli was very delicious without the rice.

My mind is starting to catch up with the trend of not filling up on grains.  The hardest thing to get used to in this transition is how fast I get hungry after feeling so full.  There's not really a hard and fast rule with the Primal Blueprint about how much food is right for you.  You just listen to your body.  What is nice about eating so much meat and vegetables is that by the time I am full, I have no worries about getting enough nutrition.  I learned from my trial run as a vegan that filling up on bread is a terrible thing to do, so cutting out bread feels like a healthy choice.

I had a pizza last weekend.  It was my emergency food stash if I ran out of groceries before the week ended.  The pizza nearly evaporated I ate it so fast (it was not that big to begin with).  However, after the pizza was gone, I did not feel satisfied.  I could have eaten more pizza if there was any.  It reminds me of when I used to be hooked on cookie dough ice cream.  I would eat so much of the vanilla ice cream just so that I could get to the delicious cookie bits.  I didn't even want the ice cream, I just wanted the cookie dough.  Primal eating feels like I'm cutting out the filler so that I can get to the good stuff - meat and veggies.

I realize that grains have a purpose in providing energy when you're burning a lot of calories.  If I were to go camping, I would bring along plenty of oats because that's one grain that feels healthy no matter how you fix it.  However, in my every day, mostly sedentary life, I can afford to cut out grains since I get enough calories from the nutrient dense array of meat, veggies, and fruit available to me.

I look forward to the second week of my primal trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment