Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What happened to Winter?

I spent so much time bracing for a freezing winter that I can't believe it's almost February already.  We had snow in Little Rock in December, but I'm wondering if we are going to get any more this winter.  It's strange that I think of the 40's F as warm.  Strange...and wonderful.  I'm able to enjoy the outdoors out of sheer stubbornness by conditioning myself to run even in cold.  Fortunately for me, I don't have to try as hard as I would have last year.

According to weather news, it's warm because there's not enough precipitation to keep the ground cold.  If snow doesn't fall, then the ground isn't shielded from the sun's heat.  If the ground gets plenty of sun in the winter, then it stays warm enough to keep the atmosphere warm.  With a warm atmosphere, precipitation that would be snow is just rain.

I would like a couple weeks of thoroughly cold weather just so I can trim my Crape Myrtle without fear of bug infestation.  I also enjoy the challenge of walking my dog on icy streets.  I did that last year before we learned to walk cooperatively, and it was an adventure.  I have been putting off planting any seeds because I'm waiting for the "right time".  I admit this is folly simply because of the wide range of plants that thrive in different climates.  Spinach, for example, can be sown directly into snow.  One thing holding me back is an experience last year in which I planted some seeds in my yard and that same night, the state was inundated with mass flooding.  This year, I am taking my time and over planning rather than just making half-hearted attempts.

No comments:

Post a Comment