Monday, January 30, 2012

Every Goal is Daily

It doesn't matter how many times you have done something good.  Doing the right thing today is a conscious choice.  Making the same choice day after day is not always easy.  A choice becomes routine, then it becomes a part of life.  If something comes along later that makes you question why you do something a certain way, will you still remember the answer?  A lot of what people do on a regular basis is habit, either to build toward a goal or to pass the time.  Part of reaching a goal is remembering why that goal is necessary.  If you were trying to lose weight and became malnourished, then you would have to stop adjust your plans.

Sometimes while working to attain a goal, interruptions occur and throw us off track of sensible reasoning.  What seems feasible one minute may seem completely impossible the next due to some tiny detail that sticks out.  Often I have to reevaluate what I really want as I work toward a goal.  Working on improving my safety becomes irrelevant when it involves staying home and never doing anything exciting.  Maintaining a budget seems irrelevant when I can't pay off my debt.  I've created so many budgets in the past and given up on them because I wasn't making enough to cover my expenses let alone support my own creativity.  Watching my finances slip further into the red was not a fun thing to do, but attempting to manage them was still good practice.  Sometimes goals have the right idea behind them, but they aren't the right tool at the right time for creating the solution.  For example, all my budgeting was not going to pay off my student loan debt, but going back to college and finishing my degree has put me in a position that makes freedom from debt possible.  I made school harder than it had to be by focusing on the debt instead of what I really wanted.  Getting out of debt is not a goal, it's a side effect.  

This year, my goal is to grow food in my yard that I can eat.  I started planning this goal last year, and since then I have added on other mini-goals as bonuses.  I started following the Primal Blueprint which influences my food choices and stamina, encouraging the possibility and desire to garden.  Every time I do something that puts me noticeably closer to my goal, I get a new wave of excitement and energy to fuel me forward.  

Then there are times when my faith in the goal completion waivers.  My mental and physical energy lull and motivation seems rather pointless.  It is during these times that I have to remember what makes me happy.  I stop to analyze the routines in my life and look for the fun and the fulfillment in them.  I look back on what feels like tedium in repetitive actions and paint those memories in a good light for activities that have been rewarding and a dim light for those that were just time sinks.  By strengthening the perception of helpful occupations and intentionally forgetting useless pastimes, I can engineer my reflexes to react differently next time these opportunities come up.  This method has helped me to spend less time on computer gaming and more time on real successes.

If the monotony of repeating so much every day doesn't seem worth it to achieve a goal, try Polyphasic sleep and you will feel like you are only repeating daily activities once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment